Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Transfiguration

Lat weekend we had our Annual General Meeting and I wondered if I should 'blog' my report because it talks about what has been and looks forward to what lies ahead. It's been uploaded to the Parish website so interested folk can read it there unless I get a request to post it here. For this week I'll share the reflection that was in the pew sheet...

In the Gospel today Jesus is described taking three close friends for some ‘time out’ on a mountain. While they were up on the mountain Jesus was transformed somehow, and the three friends were given a new insight into the relationship that Jesus had with God.

In the story Peter was so moved by the experience that he wanted to build three shelters on the holy ground where that encounter took place.

There are at least two things I’d want to draw from this account known as ‘the transfiguration’.

The first is that if Jesus made time in the midst of a busy life for reflection and prayer, should we not also do the same? We may not be physically able to get up Mount Archer but we could go for a walk on flatter ground! We could create other spaces in which reflection and physical exercise are possible eg weeding the flower beds, mowing the yard, walking the dog, riding the bike.
It is wonderful to be presented with this reading just before the journey of Lent. There is an opportunity for each of us to prioritise our time so that for a few weeks at least this practice becomes part of who we are, and how we operate. I’m not going to ask what you gave up for Lent – I’m going to ask what you took on!

Are you planning to be part of a Lent group? Are you planning to read a devotional book, or a portion of the Bible? Are you planning to keep a journal, or sit quietly in front of a candle at the end of each day?

Whatever we do there is a good chance that we will find ourselves in Peter’s shoes. Awed by the reality of Jesus in the ‘holy ground’ of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. "Jesus was transformed somehow" these sort of statements always amaze me. I wonder what he was really like. Things like "burning bushes" or "He rose above them" or glowing halos painted around their heads, it just makes me more curious to know.

    Moving on, yes, I want to read the AGM report, but will find the link to the official site and follow from there.

    And I need to send you some money for the candle too, am onto it. AStay tuned.

    :)

    *GREAT BLOG!

    ReplyDelete